How to Prevent Uterine Cancer
Uterine Cancer is also known as Endometrial Cancer and it mainly happens to middle aged women. The uterus of a woman is a muscular organ. Cancer can affect any part of the uterus and it is quite common with women suffering from obesity, diabetes and hypertension. In most cases, the cancer starts in the endometrium, hence called endometrial cancer. Uterine Cancer can be treated by using any of the following methods:
- Surgical removal of uterus along with ovaries, lymph nodes and fallopian tubes
- Radiation therapy
Although uterine cancer can be cured, it’s always a better option to prevent it. You may not be able to control all the sources causing uterine cancer but there are few ways for uterine cancer prevention:
- Control body weight: Keep your body weight in control. Obese women can be at ahigher risk of getting affected by uterine cancer. The fat in the body produces estrogen, which promotes the growth of uterine lining that is the Endometrium and may lead to Endometrial cancer.
- Breast feed: If the person is lactating, then the risk of the cancer decreases as breast feeding decreases ovulation as well as estrogen activities.
- Treat abnormal bleeding: If you are suffering from any type of abnormal bleeding, be that heavy periods, bleeding even after you reached menopause or if you start bleeding between two period cycles, consult your doctor immediately. Abnormal bleeding is the symptom of Endometrial Hyperplasia, which might eventually turn cancerous.
- Exercise: As already said earlier, keep your weight under control to avoid uterine cancer. Exercise to avoid increase in weight leading to obesity.
Healthy food: Healthy food is the key to avoid diseases, be that a common cold or uterine cancer. Eat healthy and balanced diet everyday to be fit and bouncing.
- Birth control pills: It is believed that the intake of birth control pill helps to keep uterine cancer at bay.
So eat healthy, exercise and adopt healthy habit; nothing can stop you from enjoying life to the fullest.
The Author, Dr. Smita Vats is practising as a Consultant Gynaecologist and Laparoscopic Surgeon in Gurgaon.She is one of the Best Gynaecologist in Gurgaon and a visiting consultant at various esteemed Hospitals in Gurgaon including Artemis Hospital, Cloud nine Hospital, Paras Hospital & GNH Hospital Gurgaon.