The uterus is a muscular structure that is placed inside women’s pelvis and held in place with the help of muscles, ligaments, and tissues. These muscles become weak due to pregnancy, childbirth or delivery complications, which can turn into severe complications. One such complication is Uterine Prolapse. Uterine Prolapse occurs when the uterus sags or slips from its normal position into the vaginal canal.
Causes of Uterine Prolapse
The causes of uterine prolapse are varied and include:
– Delivering a large baby
– Difficulty in labor and delivery
– Reduction in estrogen levels post menopause
– Traumatic childbirth
– Loss or weakening of the pelvic muscle
– Conditions which increase the pressure in the abdominal area such as a chronic cough, straining, pelvic tumors or accumulation of fluid in the abdomen
– Loss of internal support due to major surgery in the pelvic area
Uterine prolapse can be major or minor, depending on how far the uterus sags into the vagina. Women who have minor uterine prolapse may not have any visible symptom. However, if the condition worsens, it manifests itself in visible signs.
Symptoms of Uterine Prolapse
Symptoms of moderate or severe prolapse are:
1. A feeling of fullness or pressure in the pelvis when one sits
2. Visible signs of the uterus or cervix coming out of the vagina
3. Vaginal bleeding or increased discharge
4. Painful sexual intercourse
5. Recurrent bladder infections
6. Constant back pain with difficulty in walking, urinating and moving one’s bowels
Without proper attention, the condition can cause impairment in the bowel, and can also affect bladder and sexual function.The treatment of mild uterine prolapse aims at preventing further progress of the condition by doing Kegel’s pelvic exercises, avoiding heavy weight lifting/cough/constipation , bladder training etc.
The treatment for moderate or severe uterine /vaginal prolapse is usually by surgery to restore and strengthen the pelvic anatomy and/or to remove the uterus if required.
The Author, Dr. Smita Vats is practising as a Consultant Gynaecologist and Laparoscopic Surgeon in Gurgaon.She is one of the Best Gynaecologist in Gurgaon and a visiting consultant at various esteemed Hospitals in Gurgaon including Artemis Hospital, Cloud nine Hospital, Paras Hospital & GNH Hospital Gurgaon.