There are multiple ways in which one can get their body prepared for labour. Although one may not know how their labour will progress; they can ease the pain that they might go through during childbirth to a significant amount by doing these following four exercises:
Best Pregnancy Exercises for Normal Delivery :
1. Kegel Exercises: These exercises target the muscles that provide support to their bladder, uterus, urethra and rectum. By working out the muscles of pelvic floor; these exercises can help to improve the flow of blood to your vagina and rectal area. Kegel exercises involve contraction of muscles of the pelvic floor that one would do if they had to prevent passing of urine or stool. It is also known to reduce the duration of the pushing stage of childbirth, which is the second stage. You can do the exercises sitting or standing and in either of the two ways.
Slow kegels: For this, contract the muscles of the pelvic floor and hold them for 3-10 seconds and release. Repeat this exercise 10 times a day
Fast kegels: To do this, one needs to contract and loosen up their pelvic muscles 25-50 times. Do the set for about 4 times with 5 seconds interval between each set.
2. Squatting: Practicing squatting during the pregnancy can help preparing their pelvic muscles for labour. By involving thigh muscles, it opens up the pelvis for an easy descent of the baby. So, here’s what you should do:
1. Begin by standing behind a chair for support with the feet wide apart
2. While contracting the abdominal muscles, relax the shoulders and chest before lowering the tailbone towards the floor
3. While inhaling and exhaling, push the legs and go back to standing position
3. Pelvic Tilt: This exercise helps in strengthening the back muscles, pelvis and thigh region while improving posture. Ensuring your pelvic joints remain flexible, it eases the pain experienced during delivery. Here’s how it’s done:
1. Get down on both hands and knees while keeping the head parallel to the back
2. While arching the back, pull in the stomach
3. Hold this position for a few seconds before releasing
The exercise needs to be repeated 3-5 times.
4. Tailor Pose: The tailor pose is designed to help relax the hip joints as well as open up the pelvis. It also helps to improve the body posture while easing the aches that occur in the lower part of the back. For this, one needs to perform these following steps:
1. While keeping the back straight; sit comfortably on the floor
2. Place the soles of both the feet together; press the knees gently towards the floor
3. Keep the position for 10-15 seconds. One can repeat the exercise for 5-10 times.
The Author, Dr. Smita Vats is practising as a Consultant Gynaecologist and Laparoscopic Surgeon in Gurgaon.She is one of the Best Gynaecologist in Gurgaon and a visiting consultant at various esteemed Hospitals in Gurgaon including Artemis Hospital, Cloud nine Hospital, Paras Hospital & GNH Hospital Gurgaon.